Get a tan? Go on vacation? Yes and yes but Summer is also a great time to tackle some looming organizing projects that you’d like to finally mark off your list.
Memorial Day weekend signifies the beginning of Summer even if the calendar says it isn’t for another 20+ days. School is out here which is usually some combination of thrilling and terrifying if you have kids but it does make for lighter traffic here in Atlanta which we all love! Even though we are adults and no longer get an official summer vacation off, it is a magical time where we all tend to relax and enjoy life more. Some businesses even implement a less strict dress code and office hours which helps in the heat and humidity.
Because it is a new season, it’s lighter later in the day, and we seem to have a little more energy, it’s prime time to tackle some fun or niggling projects around the house. I’ve put together a list of some of the organizing projects that are prime for summer time. Maybe not today but in the dog days when it’s 95 degrees outside with 80% humidity!
- Organize your pantry. While this is something that can be done anytime, this is a great season because you will probably be entertaining and feeding more people. Wouldn’t it be great to know exactly what is on that top shelf or where all of your plastic cups are?
- Organize pictures. Whether you have printed pictures or digital ones, now is a great time to create some kind of system to find them quicker and keep them safe. An easy way is to at least have them organized by year and then create virtual or actual albums with the “events” that naturally emerge like “Dad’s birthday party” or “Spring Break Vacation” or even “Vacations 2016.” At least get rid of blurry, unfocused, and bad pictures.
- Put away Winter clothes. You may have already done this but, if not, there is no time like the present. Here is a link to a blog post I wrote at The Southern C on how to put away your winter clothes and shoes. Your clothes and shoes will thank you come Fall.
- Pick a scary closet. Pick the one closet that scares you most and vow to clean it out over the summer. That gives you at least 12 weeks to chip away at it gradually so it’s not so daunting. Start with 15 minutes and keep at it. You’ll be amazed at what all you can accomplish in 15 minutes a day!
- Go through your papers. I guarantee that even if you have an outstanding filing system in place, you have papers in those files that you don’t need any more. You can create some space in there by getting rid of old, expired papers that are just taking up valuable space at this point. Take a folder at a time or follow the daily 15 minute schedule to go through those files. Shred anything that has your personal information on it and recycle the rest.
While I certainly think you should take time to enjoy the warm weather and have some fun in the sun (with SPF 50!), take advantage of the seasonal change and take care of YOU by tackling a task you’ve been putting off. I know you’ll be glad you did.
Happy Summer and Happy Organizing!